The UEFA Executive Committee has approved a major overhaul of Europe’s men’s national team competitions beginning in 2028, introducing a revamped UEFA Nations League structure and a new-look European Qualifiers system aimed at improving competitive balance and increasing excitement for supporters.
Meeting in Istanbul, UEFA confirmed that the changes will come into effect following UEFA EURO 2028 and will reshape how national teams compete for qualification to future European Championships and other international tournaments.
Under the new format, the UEFA Nations League will be reduced from four leagues to three leagues consisting of 18 teams each. Teams will compete in three groups of six, playing six matches against five different opponents. UEFA said the new system is designed to reduce “dead matches” while creating more meaningful and competitive fixtures throughout the calendar.
League C will include one seven-team group due to UEFA’s 55 member associations, with its schedule beginning earlier than the rest of the competition. Quarter-finals, the Finals tournament and promotion/relegation play-offs will remain unchanged.
The European Qualifiers will also adopt a tiered system linked directly to Nations League performance. The top 36 teams from Nations League Leagues A and B will compete in “League 1,” while the remaining teams will enter “League 2.”
League 1 will feature three groups of 12 teams drawn from three seeding pots. Each nation will play six matches against six different opponents in a format similar to UEFA’s club competitions. League 2 will mirror the structure of Nations League League C.
UEFA said the highest-ranked teams from League 1 groups will qualify automatically for the final tournament, with remaining qualification places determined through play-offs. The governing body added that the system would ensure fair qualification opportunities for lower-ranked nations.
UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin said the reforms would strengthen European international football without increasing the number of international match dates.
Updates from today's UEFA Executive Committee meeting in Istanbul:
— UEFA (@UEFA) May 20, 2026
🏆 New formats for UEFA men’s national team competitions as of 2028
🏟️ Extension of the Standing Facilities Observer Programme for the 2026/27 season
✍️ Approval of UEFA regulations
👉 More details here:… pic.twitter.com/yC5Sj798m1
“The new formats will improve competitive balance, reduce the number of dead matches, offer a more appealing and dynamic competition to fans, while ensuring a fair qualification chance for all teams and without adding any additional dates in the international calendar,” Čeferin said.
“Altogether, the changes will grow the value of UEFA men’s national team football and we are very much looking forward to the implementation of the new competition systems.”
UEFA also announced an expansion of its Standing Facilities Observer Programme for the 2026/27 season, allowing more associations to use safe standing areas across all UEFA competitions.
Previously limited to men’s club competitions, the programme will now apply to all UEFA tournaments, including qualification rounds. Associations already participating in the observer programme will automatically be permitted to continue using standing facilities.
National associations that have used standing areas in their domestic top divisions for at least the past three years can apply to introduce them in UEFA competitions from September 2026.
UEFA said further changes are planned as part of new Stadium Infrastructure Regulations due to take effect in the 2027/28 season. The governing body will continue consulting with leagues, clubs and supporter organisations before finalising mandatory standards.
In addition to the competition changes, the Executive Committee approved several new and updated regulations, including the 2026 editions of UEFA’s Club Licensing and Financial Sustainability Regulations, Disciplinary Regulations, Organisational Regulations and Equipment Regulations.
UEFA also confirmed new coaching qualification requirements for women’s club competitions. From June 2028, head coaches of women’s first teams will be required to hold a UEFA Pro Licence, while assistant coaches must hold at least a UEFA A Licence.
The next UEFA Executive Committee meeting will take place on 15 September 2026 in Thessaloniki, Greece.
Featured Image Credit: Unsplash / Andriyko Podilnyk
.png)


